Monday, July 11, 2005

Conversations with a Fundamentalist Catholic

This last week, I was talking to a Republican Catholic at my office, and while we rarely discuss politics and/or religion (me being soundly in the minority, but very VERY vocal when it comes time to discuss it), it came up in the form of the discussion of the new pope. When I was telling him how I felt it was a little odd to think that this guy, Joey Ratz, is now THE VOICE OF GOD ON EARTH, and is completely infallible, according to Catholic Dogma, out of left field comes this thing he says:

"Well, he won't allow the gays to marry. That's what God wants."

"Uh...what?"

"Gays marrying is against God."

"How do you know?"

"It just is. My religion tells me so. A while ago, I saw a transvestite, and I told him, 'You are hurting God', and I felt afterwards as if I was doing God's work."

"Uh...well, you know, if he was a transvestite, he may have not been gay...there's actually a fairly significant amount of transvestites who are..."

"Oh, he was definitely gay. So I told him he was hurting God."

"OK, I just want to get this straight. Because, you know, maybe I'm just fucked in the head, or something, but...someone loving someone, regardless of what form that loves takes, someone who loves someone else...be they gay, straight, whatever...love can somehow HURT God, while saying hurtful things to someone, telling them that their life, their love, their way of life is an abomination...this is something that HELPS God?"

"Gay love isn't love. It's just sinful fornication."

"So, what about those old male couples, you know, in their '70s, don't really get it up anymore, just hang around listening to Cole Porter and watching really fine movies...that isn't love?"

"No. And it's against God."

"Couldn't it be that your hate and your discrimination is what hurts God, and that these people loving one another actually makes the world a better place?"

"You can't tell me that my religion is wrong! It isn't! YOU DON'T BELIEVE!"

And at that, you know, with nothing more to say, I left.

If I have to choose between surrendering my soul to a guy in a funny hat or living as a heretic...I'll pick heretic, thank you very much.

We have a better dress code, anyway.

-- SF Native in Exile

10 Comments:

Anonymous David said...

I got to your site through my friend's blog www.freakgirl.com. She's a good friend of mine. This conversation caught my eye as our church (United Church Of Christ in Raleigh) is working on hard to create a place that embraces all. If it makes you feel any better, check out www.progressivechurches.org. We're getting a lot of flak, but it's worth it.

7/12/2005 05:48:00 AM  
Blogger freakgirl said...

Not being religious myself, the only response to people like that is "where there is love, there is god."

It boggles my mind that people who claim to be serving god spend so much energy trying to call attention to other people's so-called sins, instead of trying to make this world a better place. Gah.

7/12/2005 07:27:00 AM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/12/2005 08:55:00 AM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

Why is it that these fundies are so selective about the parts of the bible that they believe in? You don't tend to hear any of Jesus' words on tolerance like "judge not lest ye be judged" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" with these folks. It's all just fire and brimstone and the casting out of the nonbelievers and whatnot. I think if Jesus were to come back, he's want to kick these people's asses.

(whoops, forgot a question mark)

7/12/2005 08:56:00 AM  
Blogger SF Native in Exile said...

Best part about it was, his wide eyed, zombie-like repetition of his beliefs...he might as well have been saying, "Braaaaiiiins.....BRAAAIIIINS!!!"

7/12/2005 09:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing to me how some folks can convince themselves that hatred and intolerance has anything to do with what might be called God.

Bless those poor, lost souls.

7/12/2005 09:08:00 AM  
Blogger Nony Mitchell said...

The hard part is that if we are truly to get this world to be a true expression of love we have to find a way to embrace and love even the people who do things such as this fundy...oh well

7/12/2005 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger Chandira said...

'Heratic' comes from the Greek, 'heratikos', need I say more?

I LOVE to see gay guys walking down the street holdin hands, I dig that shit. Love is never wrong. Never. Ever. Well, maybe only between man and sheep, and then who knows? But then, I'm not threatened by it.. I'm secure with my own sexuality. Get what I'm saying? I really think there's a lot to that old homophobia theory..

7/12/2005 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger Chyrene Pendleton said...

I believe when it is understood that Love is truly Universal and is what we came here to the planet to learn - no matter what race, color or sexual orientation we are - then we as the human race will experience phenomenal acceleration of spiritual growth.

7/12/2005 02:27:00 PM  
Blogger brigita said...

Lapsed Catholic here, just wanted to say that the Pope is only infallible when he speaks ex cathedra, which apparently means from the chair of Peter (the first head of the church as appointed by Christ), aka the Chair of Infallibility, which is fun to say since it evokes images of the Hall of Justice or something.

And God is love. Period.

7/14/2005 11:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home