Wednesday, July 20, 2005

How Bad?

So I'm standing around the gate at Chicago's humongous O'Hare airport waiting for my plane to get back here to San Francisco when my eyes wander from all of the midwestern fashion nightmares walking around to the TV screen in the corner where Wolf Blitzer is looking very serious as he talks about whatever breaking news is so important that the words "breaking news" need to take up half the screen. I don't bother checking out the TV for a while because no matter how breaking this news item might be, I'm more concerned with making sure that I still have a seat on this overbooked plane and that I have some food to take on with me. But once my needs got taken care of, I looked back at the screen and there's George Bush sitting, talking and smirking with some older white guy who is sitting and grinning like he just won a prize. I'm across the gate from the TV and there's no sound on, so I walk up for a closer look and see that it's Bush's supreme court nominee. There's no sound or anything, so all I have is the way he looks and his name to go on. Lookswise he looks just like any other republican guy, with a suit, a sensible haircut, and a look on his face that says "I'm better than you." As far as his name goes, I remember seeing him on one of the lists that one of the mainstream media outlets put out on possible nominees, but I couldn't remember if he was one of the ones that I hated a whole lot or one of the ones that I just hated a little bit.

Lucky for me, I'm on a zillion progressive mailing lists, so once I waded through the hundreds of offers for prescription drugs, penis enlargement and letters from friendly Nigerians who need help getting money out of their country, I got to the action alerts on judge Roberts. So far, he seems fairly typical of the type of person Bush and his gang would nominate. He's a former corporate lobbyist who has worked with Ken Starr, written that Roe vs Wade should be overturned, and has fought to weaken environmental protection, the Voting Rights Act, and the seperation of church and state. And he's not even one of the more extreme people Bush could have nominated. Needless to say, I don't like this guy. It's a pretty fair assumption to make that nobody Bush would consider for any appointment to any position in his government is going to be somebody who I would consider to be a decent human being (hell, I barely consider them human to begin with). But what does it say when I see somebody like this nominated to the Supreme Court and my first thought is "well I guess it could have been worse?"

4 Comments:

Blogger Chandira said...

These people, much as they irk us, and what remains of the free world, are still human. I'm almost convinced of that.. I'm trying hard to still respect them as fellow sentient bings. I know, it's very difficult, but hating them doesn't help either. They still breed. So we might as well try another tactic.. ;-)
That way we're bigger than they are..

7/20/2005 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

Well sure, by definition they are human beings. And I don't really hate them, at least not all of them. But they are like selfish little children who throw hissy fits when they don't get their way regardless of how many other people are hurt and what they really need is a good spanking and a nice long time out until they've had some time to realize why they're wrong.

7/20/2005 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger SF Native in Exile said...

I've always thought that the whole world would be better if world leaders, senators, etc. were all forced to take naps.

Or if there was a mandatory "putting out" time where their wives, mistresses, etc. would throw them a bang each and every day so that they didn't have all this pent up agression and want to bomb shit.

7/20/2005 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

Naptime and putting out time are great ideas, but it would take a lot of hard work to get the people of this country to get rid of the workaholism and sexual repression that came over on the Mayflower. I wonder if we could get a grant to study this.

7/20/2005 01:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home