Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Bathroom Propaganda Wars

Flying Spaghetti Monster
I work in a rather unconventional office. It's part of a storage unit right on the Bay in Marin County. The building I'm in has our office, an apartment, and an office downstairs that the management uses as sort of a flophouse for cheap laborers from out of state. Right now, there's a family who could be considered on the loonie fringe of the fundamentalist religious right. One of them left this printout in the bathroom about some "religious science" that has to do with the fact that the end of the world is immanent because people are dreaming about it. My boss and I thought that it might be funny to print out a few brochures on Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. Last night, these brochures were obviously read, and laying on top was a new little tract called "The Atheist Test" which tries to use the banana as proof of intelligent design. While I find it a bit scary that in this day and age people still feel the need to believe in superstition to explain basic science, and while part of me really thinks that I should just live and let live, another part of me wants to fight these people since they are after all working towards legislating this crap and turning our country into a theocracy to rival the Taliban. So what's the next step? Can any of my dear readers suggest something I can print out to take on this silliness with a suitable sense of humor?

9 Comments:

Blogger Orikinla Osinachi. said...

Ignorance is bliss for the world weary souls wandering in the wilderness of their ignorance like fools who have come to their wits end gropin in the darkness of their foolishness.

Flying Spaghetti Monster was influenced my the Matrix.

Let the ignorant ones seek the truth and they will see the light at the end of their dark tunnel.

11/08/2005 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger James said...

ignore it? By responding you're giving them reason to pursue their march.

I have nothing against people believing what they want, but when it comes to a point that I can't function in my world without being acosted by thier belief system, I tend to bite back.

But if you ignore them, they can't keep puching because no one is getting involved.

11/08/2005 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger James said...

That "Atheist Test" is the biggest joke I have ever seen.

First, they are using examples of objects that we KNOW have to have an origin, as WE are the ones making them, to prove that something we KNOW to have some origin in nature was put here by someone we cannot prove exists.

Second, they are basing everything off the biblical assumption that MAN is the highest being on earth, that everything was designed by "the maker" as to be "for man" (i.e. bananas)

11/08/2005 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

James, finally something we can agree on! So as I've said to you before, I'm not expecting to change their minds, and I doubt that the latest Jack Chick tract that they just left is going to change mine, but do you have any suggestions for bathroom reading that will just make them say "What the fuck?" I don't want to have to shell out for the latest George Carlin hardcover. You see, I am a prankster at heart. I sometimes have an irresistable urge to fuck with people.

11/08/2005 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger James said...

Honestly, if they're buying into the "banana theory" I think these people are beyond messing with :)

11/08/2005 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger James said...

See, I'm not as bad as you thought I was :P

11/08/2005 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Snoop said...

I just saw that you won our B of the B. MAN I WAS RIPPED!
This is a conspiracy BY THE MAN, to keep a brotha down! LOL!
Did you see that I am next to last in the standings #2101. I gotta get that bottom slot!

11/08/2005 01:01:00 PM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

James, we'll talk about how not bad you are when you stop helping these bastards out by voting republican.

Snoop, who is rated below you? Is it my Bill O'Reilly Myspace blog? We've got to do something about that.

11/08/2005 01:18:00 PM  
Blogger James said...

LOL, the last time I voted was in 2005... the next time I'll get to vote "big" will be in 2008... so we've got a while.

11/08/2005 06:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home