Sunday, December 04, 2005

San Francisco Adventures

So today I made a trip to the historic Haight Ashbury district. When I was a 19 year old deadhead living back East, this was the coolest place in the whole world as far as I was concerned. The first time I ever visited SF, I made it a point to go sit on the steps of 710 Ashbury where the Dead lived back in the late 60s, and I had to get my pic taken at the street sign of that famous intersection. Now that I'm a older and more jaded, the neighborhood has lost a bit of its appeal. There's a Gap on the corner of Haight and Ashbury, and the streets are crawling with crusty punks trying to sell short sacs of weed to the throngs of hippie tourists for inflated prices to give them an authentic taste of Summer of Love San Francisco. But there's one place that makes it worth braving all of these annoyances, and that place is Amoeba Records. It's the greatest music store anywhere! I had a crate of old vinyl that I was looking to sell, so I lugged it over to Amoeba this afternoon. They only took a few of them for 5 bucks, so I dragged the whole heavy crate down about 4 blocks to another used record store which wouldn't even look at them. So I asked the guy if I could leave it there and get my car so I didn't have to lug them back. I was not such a happy camper walking back to my car, but as I was getting close to the car I spotted something green on the ground. It's always great to find money lying on the ground, but this was even better as it was something else green. I found a baggie of fluffy orange haired kind buds lying right there on the sidewalk, probably about $20 worth! That made me feel a little bit better about wasting my afternoon in the Haight.

Also, there's a very interesting story on the cover of this week's SF Weekly. It's about this guy named Craig who has a list that you may have heard something about.

7 Comments:

Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

You're making me homesick! I used to live on Bush and Steiner and would every so often ride my bike on over to the Haight. I loved hanging out there, despite the commercialization of the place, and Amoeba Records was one of my stops, always. Have you eaten at Kan Zaman? (Haight & Schrader) Man do I miss their food! Service sucks but the food is great...

As for Craigslist, many a thing did I sell, and sell well, on Mr. Newmark's site. Once I had this guy who kept sending me a virus through my Craigslist anon-reply email and Craig himself was the one who wrote me and helped me get rid of him.

I am glad your day ended with the delightful little surprise! Enjoy San Francisco! Take it from one wo has moved and wishes she was back home!

12/04/2005 08:22:00 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I was actually down in San Francisco on Nov. 28 for half a day. Hate the place. Always have. I'll have to admit, though, the streets aren't as congested as I remembered, at least off the main drags. Probably more congested here in Eureka in a lot of ways.

We left there at around 3:45pm and drove like hell for home. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to be going back down there fairly soon and fairly often. I'm not looking forward to it.

12/05/2005 07:05:00 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

What the....?

Aaaaah!

My ears are burning! My ears are burning!!!!!

12/05/2005 07:56:00 AM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

What do you hate about it, Fred? I hate how damn expensive it is to live here, and the traffic can definitely suck, but there's lots of great stuff to do, nice parks, great mass transit, a vibrant arts scene... plus I live out by the ocean which is a bit more suburban so I get the best of both worlds.

12/05/2005 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

Hey Miz B. I've never been to Kan Zaman. My favorite eats in upper haight is Escape from NY Pizza. There are lots of great places in lower haight, but parking is a beeyotch down there. When we go out to eat, it's usually in the Sunset around 9th & Irving. There's lots of great places within a few blocks without all the street crazies of the haight. Plus it's right off the N Judah line.

12/05/2005 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Haven't tried those places. I guess it'll have to wait until I get back into the city some day! *Sigh*

As for parking, believe me, here in southern Spain, nowhere land compared to SF, it is much MUCH worse. Were I to win the lottery or somehow come into a bunch of money, I would move back in a heartbeat! It is expensive though!It was one of the reasons we had to move. Two kids does not help with that and there was no choice after a while but to move. A true shame!

12/06/2005 02:20:00 AM  
Blogger Chandira said...

I remember my first visit to The Haight in this lifetime, it was awesome.. Lived up to what I expected, and we got a horrible fit of giggles walking down through the park. You can probably guess why.. ;-)

12/07/2005 12:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home