Monday, January 09, 2006

Anonymous commenters, watch what you say!

It is now a federal crime to annoy somebody on the internet without disclosing your identity. I swear, I'm not making this up. Buried deeply within the Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act is section 113 which contains this little morsel of stupidity...
"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
Now, I'm all for people owning what they write online, but this is ridiculous. For one thing, how does this effect anonymous bloggers such as myself and more than half of the blogosphere? I know that I write things meant to annoy certain people. Hell, I remember before there was an internet and I was using dialup BBS's that the majority of discussions were massive anonymous flame wars over whether or not Yes could be considered fusion or who had the best D&D character. Is this law even enforceable? Read more here (via metafilter)

10 Comments:

Blogger Arlen Crawford said...

The name of my blog is Arlen Crawford because I couldn't think of anything utsey cutsey and half the time I'm lazy. I hate anon stuff; be who you are! Oh yeah, congrats on your on the way child!
See, there are some good things about liberals....

1/10/2006 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

Arlen, my anonymity is because of my wife and soon to be child. I used to have a similar blog at myrealname.com where I would rant and rave against all that I find wrong with the right and in particular the religious right. But Mrs. San Francisco Liberal is related to some Central Valley Religious Conservatives (they're some of the sweetest and most wholesome people you'll ever meet, we just have a list of things not to discuss at family reunions) and she was getting really unnerved at the thought of them googling our names and reading my rants and judging us. I still have myrealname.com but it's become more of a place for me to showcase my professional work. When anonymous blogging is outlawed, only outlaws will blog anonymously!

And yes, us liberals are reproducing! Don't tell anybody, but our new strategy is winning elections by outbreeding the right.

1/10/2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger James said...

Just be careful... too much fresh air makes them conservatives! That city, choked up air is what keeps em Lib ;)

1/11/2006 07:54:00 AM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

If I thought for a second you were being serious, I'd tell you about the small town in upstate NY where I grew up. It is on the Republican side of the Hudson River, but if you go on the west side it's nothing but a bunch of mountain hippies. I'll give you a hint about my home town... an iconic liberal US president lived there, but never won in any of the town's precincts.

1/11/2006 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger James said...

My comments were in jest.

Around here, the less "city" you are the more likely you are to vote Red.

I worked in the city and I swear if I didn't see John Kerry buttons day in and day out.

1/11/2006 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

James, I know you're kidding. Any guess to my hometown? I bet even where you are, there are little pockets of liberals out in the country. We don't stay in the cities forever. Eventually we need to settle down someplace a little slower paced to raise our kids.

1/12/2006 06:26:00 AM  
Blogger James said...

Too many little towns to guess... but while we're guessing, how many people live where I do? I'll give you a hint... 15 min drive to Tulsa.

As for my town, and 'pocket liberals'... My landlord is one. She spent a good part of earyl 2004 plugging for Weasley Clark so I did what any good "I love an argument" kinda guy would... I stuck a HUGE Bush 04 banner in my yard.

Needless to say, she didn't pay us a visit for over 5 months. I guess she thought she'd melt like the wicked witch of the west if she got to close to the house. :)

1/12/2006 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

I drove through Oklahoma when I moved to California, and I've been to Muskogee once flying in to Tulsa, but that's a bit more than 15 minutes away.

How many towns in Upstate NY do you think were home to an iconic liberal US president? I'll narrow it down even more, he was an iconic liberal 20th century president. They don't even have trivia this easy on teen Jeopardy.

1/13/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger James said...

I'm guessing Hyde Park, NY... home of Franklin D. Roosevelt.

1/14/2006 08:16:00 PM  
Blogger Liberal Traitor said...

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

1/15/2006 08:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home